Nexus Media News Editor
ABOUT NEXUS MEDIA NEWS
Nexus Media News is an independent, non-profit newswire that reports new, compelling stories documenting the ways in which our world is being transformed by climate change — and the fight to slow climate change. We publish original articles and videos that are distributed to millions of readers via syndication in top-tier media partners, as well as on our web and social media properties. Founded in 2015, we are a division of Climate Nexus, a sponsored project of Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors, a 501(c)3 organization headquartered in New York City.
We’re looking for a talented editor-writer who is fascinated by and obsessed with the causes, challenges and opportunities associated with the climate crisis. They will be a visionary and ambitious news leader who will help grow our journalistic endeavor. They will nurture and expand our existing publishing partnerships, establish new ones, and build the reputation of Nexus Media News by delivering unique, original content on a wide variety of climate-related topics. We strive to tell the human stories of climate change – the impacts, the policies and the solutions, always with an eye towards justice, and always with full editorial independence. This position requires someone with an inquisitive mind, a hunger to unlock the knotty puzzle of climate change, a knack for spotting compelling storylines and a commitment to professional-level journalism. Nexus Media News strives to create content our partner publications’ audiences will find valuable, and we work closely with editors in each outlet to make sure the content meets their standards. The Editor will also be an integral part of our efforts to expand financial support for our independent, non-profit research and reporting.
The Editor reports to the Director of Nexus Media and will:
- Work with the Nexus Media News team to conceive and execute fresh, creative reporting projects on a monthly basis
- Write an editor’s note for each issue (example here)
- Write one well-researched article per month; either a feature story (see sample story) or op-ed / analysis (sample op-ed) usually around 1,000 to 1,200 words
- Spot emerging storylines and under-covered themes in the climate space and turn them into concise, powerful story concepts to assign to contributors
- Identify possible freelancers by reaching out to climate journalists, soliciting contributors on Twitter, posting to the job boards of professional societies and other methods
- Field pitches from potential contributors, assigning stories that are relevant to grant work or other collaborative projects
- Set deadlines, draft contracts, and make offers of payment
- Assign, edit and publish five feature stories per month, written by contributors. See these previous examples, typically 1,000 to 1,200 words in length
- Fact-check stories carefully
- Identify ways to polish and improve submitted articles
- Write headlines
- After the copyedit, upload to our CMS using SEO best practices
- Add photos to the story, ensuring we have the rights, or use public domain libraries
- Maintain contact with existing partners and offer new content when available
- Place stories with partners through pitch emails, upload content to partner’s CMS per their guidelines (if requested by partners), track republications
- Work closely with partner publication editors on final drafts and necessary revisions
- Identify new potential outlets for our content and collaborative projects
- Actively seek to engage with new editors and widen the scope of NXM partnerships
- Work to identify new outlets for our daily Top Story content: for archived examples see here
- Help strategize fundraising opportunities to expand our offering of independent, non-profit journalism
- Bachelor’s degree and three-plus years of experience writing and/or editing articles to professional journalism standards
- Demonstrated ability to edit the work of multiple reporters and writers on an ongoing basis
- Strong news judgment and the ability to conceptualize original, engaging approaches to stories — and to pitch them to a wide variety of publishers
- A solid track record of meeting deadlines and, ideally, motivating others to meet deadlines, sometimes within very short timeframes
- Knowledge of climate science, environmental justice, sustainability and/or other related fields
- Experience in a professional newsroom or commercial news organization
- Adept at employing SEO best practices/optimization within WordPress or similar CMS
- Familiar with frontline, local, regional, or national groups working on climate change or environmental issues
- Deep knowledge of the climate and clean energy landscape, including policy issues, political context, industry/market developments, and cultural aspects
- Enthusiasm for connecting with audiences and informing the public
- Ability to prioritize assignments and work with contributors who have different styles and personalities
- Regards deadlines as deadly serious
- Energetic and willing to be part of a small, nimble team, and eager to help problem-solve whenever necessary
- Demonstrates commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
Flexible. Climate Nexus has Washington, D.C. and New York City offices, although our staff is now fully remote. Remote candidates will be considered, although occasional travel to our New York and D.C. offices will be required when it is safe.
While we value work/life balance, due to the nature of news, this role will sometimes require work outside traditional hours.
The salary range for this position is $75K to $85K and commensurate with experience. Climate Nexus offers a generous benefits package, including paid vacation, personal and sick leave; standard health, dental, and vision packages; generous employer contributions to 401k retirement accounts; parental leave; commuter transit benefit.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with “Nexus Media News Editor” in the subject line. The deadline to apply is July 16th.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION
We strive to create a safe, diverse, and inclusive workplace. We welcome people of all gender identities, races, sexual orientations, physical or mental abilities, ethnicities, religions, ages, and perspectives. We believe striving for diversity, equity, and inclusion is key to the fight for climate justice and the success of the climate movement itself.
Climate Nexus is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and encourages qualified persons of diverse age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity, or military/veteran status to apply.